Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The moon dream



My mom visited me last night in my dreams. It was so lovely to see her although she was slight in density and kind of floating along. There was a full moon shining in the night sky and I exclaimed, "Mom! Do you know every time I see a full moon, I think of...." She interrupted me softly and said, "Yes dear, I know. I know." And the feeling was one of a quiet love and a quiet memory. An exchange we had many many times over many many moons. No matter where I was in the world, when I saw a gorgeous full moon, I thought of my mom. Sometimes I could call her and she would dash outside to see if she could see the moon too. Other times, it was in a catch up phone call - Or she would call me and say, "Molly! Have you seen the moon tonight? Go look at it!" Those calls came less and less as my parent's lives got smaller. Very rarely would they go out at night so she would miss the rising of the moon.

But our house on Rudd Road was prime moon viewing property. That is how the tradition got started. Having it rise above the hills, its light shadowing and preparing the way for the big round ball....slowly, slowly it came up until it had risen into the sky and mom and I would be on the back patio just watching it rise. Lovely lovely memories..
And even now....in her other world, we come together to watch the moon rise.